PB15 (1924) Class
|Total Number of Engines Built||30|
|First Engine Built||1925|
|Last Engine Built||1926|
|First Engine Written Off||1967|
|Last Engine Written Off||1970|
This class was built to overcome an acute shortage of motive power on lines that could not take C16 or heavier classes of locomotives. The design was based on the earlier successful 1899 engines. Although fitted with Walschaert valve gear and larger tenders, they surprisingly retained saturated boilers. They were referred to as PB15 1924 to distinguish them from the earlier series. In later years, at least, the year was rarely shown on locomotives.
They were used as “Mail” engines in areas where anything heavier was prohibited. Until 1935, they worked the Cairns Mail over its final leg from Innisfail to Cairns. Before the introduction of 60 ton DEL, they were used on the “Westlander” beyond Roma. Together with a C17, they double headed this train far as Charleville. From there a single PB15 hauled it for the remainder of the journey to Cunnamulla.
Similar to the older style PB15s, they were also used on branch line mixed and goods trains and as yard shunting engines.
Several were attached to Wooloongabba where they were used on suburban passenger trains and Southport Expresses.
The first engine to be written off was N°740 in 1967.
The last engines in service were N°732, N°741 and N°745 at Mackay and N°750 at Ipswich.
Walkers – Walkers Limited, Engineers, Maryborough, Qld