A10 Neilson – Originally B Class
|Total Number of Engines Built||13|
|First Engine Built||1865|
|Last Engine Built||1866|
|First Engine Written Off||1887|
|Last Engine Written Off||1914|
This was the second class of locomotives to be introduced into the state. Eight were built for the Southern and Western Railway based on Ipswich and another four for the Central Railway at Rockhampton. One engine was also constructed for the contractor building the line to Toowoomba. This was later purchased by the railway in 1876. All engines were fitted with injectors instead of feed pumps when built.
Four engines were converted to 4D10 tank engines. Five engines survived the turn of the century although four of them were written off in 1902. N°3 continued in use shunting Bowen Jetty until 1914. It was then stored at Ipswich Workshops and restored to working order for the Railway Pageant in 1936. Afterwards it was preserved near Countess Street in Roma Street yard before being moved to Limestone Park at Ipswich in 1959. N°6 was sold to Gibson & Howes in 1896 for use on their Wattawa line. It was reboilered in 1955 and continued to serve the company until 1965 when it was presented to QR for Centenary Celebrations. The engine is retained at Ipswich Workshops in working order.
* Boiler fitted to N°6 in 1955 had 180psi boiler pressure
In 1889 locomotives and rollingstock were consolidated into one rollingstock register. This resulted in most items, except those operating on the original Southern and Western Railway (from Ipswich ), being renumbered. Numbers shown are state (or former S & W) numbers. Those in brackets are former numbers of individual railways.
CR – Central Railway based on Rockhampton
Neilson – Neilson & Coy Glasgow