English Electric 1620 Class
The 1620 class locomotives were introduced into service in 1967. They were built by English Electric at Rocklea.
The members of this class took up various branchline and shunting duties around the state, with most being used in Central and Northern Qld.
In recent years, they became surplus with most being scrapped. A number have been sold to John Holland which were used in the Philippines for a short while but have now been transferred to Malaysia.
Five members of the class have been preserved. 1650 was restored to running order, however has not turned a wheel for nearly 5 years due to lack of funds for registration.
As a recent surprise, QR Heritage has returned class leader 1620 to mainline operation and has toured the state during the Q150 celebrations, along with steam locomotives AC16 221A and BB18¼ 1079.