English Electric 1270 Class
The 1270 class were introduced into service in 1964. They were built by English Electric, Australia at Rocklea. The locomotives were English Electric’s first mainline hood units.
The 1270 class saw use for ore traffic on the Mt. Isa line and also coal traffic on the Moura line. They were also use in general freight traffic.
In July 1965, 1281 was painted in a special gold livery and was named ‘CENTURY’ to commemorate QR’s first century of operation. This loco has worn the special livery all its life. 1281 now resides at the Ipswich Workshops.
1270 has also been preserved and now resides at Ipswich Workshops in non-working order.