Clyde/GM 1700 Class
The 1700s were the first branchline locos produced by Clyde Engineering for Qld use in 1963. They were fitted with an 8 cylinder EMD 567C engine.
They were initially based at Roma and used on branchline duties, but later in their life they were relegated to shunt duties.
The 1700s were originally built with a flat cab with no airconditioning. Later in their life, every member of the class underwent a Driver Only Operation mod which fitted them with a larger windscreen, railings running the full length of the loco and also an airconditioning pod which forms the nose of the loco. Hence the ‘D’ suffix on the loco numbers.
The last great duty of this class was left to 1707D+1710D, hauling the 2000 Carnival of Flowers excursion to Toowoomba and back to Brisbane. The class had a long and prosperous life until they were finally withdrawn in January 2001. The remaining members of the class were stored at Redbank Workshops for most of 2001 and 2002 until they were sent to scrap in September 2002.
A private buyer managed to procure 1707D minus bogies and it is now stored at QPSR, Swanbank.