Clyde/GM 1502 Class
The 1502 class locomotives were introduced into service in 1967. They were built by Clyde Engineering/Comeng. Rocklea. They 1502 class was identical in appearance to the 1460 class, except the 1502s were different internally. They were the first mainline loco in Qld with the then brand new EMD 12-645E engines and also were fitted with newer generators and traction motors.
The 1502s worked similar freights to the 1460 class , and also hauled non-electrified suburban trains. They 1502s were considered to be quite popular amongst drivers.
Unfortunately all members of the 1502 class have been withdrawn from service and are now stored at Redbank Workshops. So far, four 1502s have been sold to NZ and have continued on to Tasmania
The 1502 class are getting a new lease on life with the rebuilding of ten members of the class into the 423 class for QR National/Interail. While another 11 members of the class are making their way to Chile to join their GT26C (2100 Class ) counterparts.
A number of 1502s have been shipped to EDI Port Augusta for overhaul for eventual use in Western Australia with QRNational’s ARG West division.